Chronic dry mouth occurs when your mouth experiences a lack of saliva. For a better understanding of why this is harmful and how to combat it, read below:
– Saliva is important for your oral health because it neutralizes acids on your teeth, washes away harmful bacteria, and helps keep your mouth fresh from food particles.
– Side effects of dry mouth consist of an amplified risk of tooth decay, a sore throat, issues breathing or swallowing, and difficulty chewing properly.
– If you have a dry mouth, this may be an indication of a rare autoimmune disease known as Sjogren’s syndrome, in which your body’s immune system inadvertently attacks the salivary glands and other glands in your body.
– Dry mouth is a risk factor for other more serious oral health conditions, such as gum disease and cavities.
– Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of products. It may be a side effect of a certain medication that you are taking.
Our team at Ling Family Dentistry concentrates on a variety of dry mouth treatments to work with all your needs. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. Michael Ling, please book an appointment to come visit us at our dentist office in Blaine, Minnesota, by calling 763-784-1993.