Your smile depends on a healthy diet. Knowing what to eat will not only change your waistline but can also play a big role on the health of your gum line as well. Due to the fact that tooth decay and gum disease could be the result of what you eat, take the time to look at your own diet and make the changes to turn your smile around and into one that is healthy and bright. Listed below are a few terrific dietary options to improve your nutrition and your oral health:
– Some substances in foods can remineralize our teeth for healthier and stronger tooth enamel, including minerals such as calcium and phosphorous which are often found in foods such as chicken, cheese, nuts, and milk.
– Saliva can neutralize acids in our mouth, so try introducing saliva-producing foods to your diet, including chewing sugarless gum, which has been verified to stimulate saliva production and aid in the prevention of cavities after meals.
– Avoid simple sugars and carbohydrates, as plaque buildup and bacteria in our mouths can transform these ingredients into harmful acids that can eat through tooth enamel.
– Look for foods with high water content that are crunchy, such as pears and apples, as they are fantastic options for washing away food residue and harmful acids and increasing saliva production.
– Avoid eating foods in between meals, including during periods of snacking or as standalone treats.
No matter which option for your oral health care you choose, Dr. Michael Ling and our team at Ling Family Dentistry will ensure that you get the care and quality your smile requires. If you would like to come visit us at our dentist office in Blaine, Minnesota, please schedule an appointment at 763-784-1993. Come in today to learn all about the joys of a great smile!